Breakfast, the most important meal of the day but many of us are rushing out the door with little time for a sit down breakfast. How can you pack a healthier, “breakfast to go”? There are many ideas and healthy options to choose from.
Lighter Fare – want something nutritious that will help energize you for the day but not loaded with calories? Cooking Light always has some helpful suggestions such as: 12 Smart Ideas for Breakfast On the Go.
- Single serving cereals – a good choice to bring with you to eat at your desk. Choose whole grain cereals like Cheerios, oatmeal.
- Whole grain crackers with a cheese stick or 2 – Triscuits, Wheat Thins plus a cheese stick, choose a brand that is made from 2% milk
- Hard boiled eggs – boil some eggs ahead of time and have them ready to grab in the morning. Eggs are low calories, loaded with nutrition and a great source of high quality protein.
- Low Fat yogurt plus a whole grain sandwich thin
- Smoothie – blend yogurt with any fresh or frozen fruit. Blueberries a great choice as they are so rich in antioxidants, strawberries also good to add some vitamin C to your breakfast.
Feed the Brain – is the motto from Dr. Will Kimbrough, a primary care physician. He “walks the talk” by eating a healthy breakfast each day as reported by Paula Wolfson in What's for breakfast?. So what does the doctor recommend we eat for breakfast?
- Carbs + Lean Protein + a little fat – your brain needs carbs for fuel, glucose, from healthy carbs. He also recommends some protein for staying power and then some fat to last you through the morning.
- Greek yogurt, fresh fruit, and some nuts like a sliver of almonds.
- Smoothie – yogurt, fresh or frozen fruit and some chia seeds for extra nutrition. Chia seeds add protein, fiber, iron, and some healthy fat.
Need more calories for breakfast? There are many options to choose from. Look at 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good for You 9 Quick and Healthy Breakfasts to Eat on the Go and for some more healthy breakfast options. To add calories add some peanut butter, nut butters and or nuts to your breakfast.
- Apple sandwiches with Almond Butter and Granola
- Egg Frittatas in a muffin pan – make ahead for a grab and go breakfast, add a whole grain English muffin and some Naked Juice
- Chocolate Almond Mocha Shake made with Silk Dark Chocolate Almond Milk, Nutella, flax meal.
So don’t forget breakfast, even if you are in a hurry in the morning. Choose a grab and go breakfast to feed your brain and fuel your body for the day ahead.
Sources: 12 Smart Ideas for Breakfast On the Go, What's for breakfast?, 23 On-The-Go Breakfasts That Are Actually Good for You, 9 Quick and Healthy Breakfasts to Eat on the Go, Image Source: Breakfast on the go