So many people now are into juicing and others love to make a smoothie. Some make a smoothie for breakfast as a fast, take it with you meal. So which is healthier for you, smoothies or juicing? Both have advantages.
- 5 A Day - for those who aren’t into many veggies and fruits, this is a way to help you get your “Five A Day”, five servings of fruits and veggies every day.
- Variety – eating a variety of fruits and veggies is a key to good health. Juicing makes it easy to vary your fruits and vegetables.
- Pulp and fiber – Depending on how you juice, you could be leaving behind the pulp, and along with it fiber and nutrients.
- Limit juicing to 8-12 ounces a day – about a cup or cup and a half. Why? To save space for fresh fruit and veggies and all the nutrients fresh produce and fruit provide
- healthier than juicing as smoothies are usually blended which preserves the pulp, fiber and nutrients in the pulp.
- Dairy adds calcium and vitamin D – making smoothies with yogurt or milk adds needed calcium and vitamin D to your diet.
- Protein – yogurt and milk offer a high quality protein and if you use low fat milk or yogurt you get high quality protein with less fat.
- More vitamins, antioxidants, minerals, phytochemicals if the whole fruit or veggie is blended into a smoothie, including the skins improves nutritional value.
- High in calories if you use sugared yogurt, juices with added sugar, frozen yogurt, sorbet or ice cream.
- Bottled smoothies – avoid if you can, as many contain added sugars and extra calories.
So choose smoothies if you like them. A very healthy way to get in some fruits, veggies and dairy. Choose juicing if you don’t like fresh fruit and veggies but want to add some to your diet. But also enjoy fresh fruits and veggies every day.
For healthy smoothie recipes go to: Low-Calorie Smoothie Recipes. For healthy juice recipes go to : Healthy Juice Recipes for a Juicer or a Blender
Sources: Health benefits of juicing vs. smoothies, Healthy Juice Recipes for a Juicer or a Blender, Image source: Smoothie