Who doesn’t love pizza? Buying a frozen pizza is simple, convenient and easy to pop in the oven for a quick meal. Are there ways to make healthier choices when choosing frozen pizza? We enjoy frozen pizza about once a week. We add ingredients and make healthier choices when choosing a frozen pizza and you can too. The Healthiest and Best Tasting Frozen Pizza lists a number of ideas for making healthier frozen pizza choices.
- Thin Crust – you can save a lot of calories by choosing thin crust pizzas. If you are ordering a pizza, choose thin crust. If they offer a whole grain crust, that would be a healthier choice. Skip the cheese-stuffed crust and skip those added calories.
- Simple is Best – although the loaded toppings are tasty, they are also loaded with calories. The “meat-lovers” pizzas are especially high in calories and in sodium.
- Add veggies – we cut up and add some fresh green pepper, fresh onion, fresh mushrooms and some sliced black olives. Add the veggies you like to “add nutrition” to your frozen pizza.
- Portions – read the label for serving sizes. Look for 2 slices being less than 350 calories and less than 600 mg sodium.
- Add sides – add a fresh salad and some fresh fruit to your “pizza meal” to add more nutrition.
What frozen pizzas does Eating Well recommend?
- Amy’s Roasted Vegetable Pizza (for vegans)
- Amy’s Pesto Pizza
- Dr. Oetker Ristorante Pizza Mozarella
- American Flatbread Sliced Tomato and 5 Cheese
- DiGiorno Thin and Crispy Spinach and Garlic Pizza
Want to make your own pizza? Check out the pizza recipes at: Healthy PIzza Recipes and Cooking Tips