So much good information is coming out about coffee that some health professionals are wondering if they should recommend coffee for good health. So what are some of these great health benefits and how much do you need to drink to get these benefits?
Health Benefits of Coffee
- Reduced risk of many diseases including cardiovascular (heart) disease, dementia, Parkinson’s disease, stroke and type 2 diabetes – all these benefits for just drinking coffee.
- Reduced risk of skin cancer- about 3 cups of coffee a day reduced risk of skin cancer
- Reduced risk of depression, at least in women – 2-3 cups a day, helped lift one’s mood according to a Harvard University Research study
Why is drinking coffee healthy?
- Phytochemicals – coffee contains more of the phenolic phytochemical than tea or red wine, other phytochemicals in coffee are flavanols
- Antioxidants – these prevent damage to the cells in your body. Coffee provides these beneficial antioxidants.
- Minerals – one doesn’t think coffee has nutritional value but it provides both magnesium and chromium. These minerals are important in controlling blood sugar levels.
Drinking coffee with lots of cream, whipped cream, caramel, chocolate, other sweeteners can add calories and added fat in your diet.
Enjoy Some Coffee: So if you like your coffee, enjoy it and know that there are some health benefits to drinking coffee. Don’t like coffee, then enjoy some green tea which also has health benefits.
Sources: Coffee Drinkers at Lower RIsk for Type 2 Diabetes, Coffee Cuts Depression Risk, Coffee May Help Protect Against Skin Cancer, Coffee and Your Health, Coffee phenolic phytochemicals, Image source: Cup of Coffee